Welcome to the “Healthy Corner” for easy & nutritious recipes. October month has gone so fast, started with Diwali preparations then joyous celebrations & month end was trying to cure hangover of all those sweets, snacks & gatherings. 😂😂 I always wonder snacks & sweets, everything finishes so early but boxes next to it filled with dry fruits are still hardly touched.
Dry fruits are the best healthy gift option in Diwali. There are several benefits of Dry Fruits, they are tiny energy booster packed with essential fatty acids, proteins & minerals. But still many of us and kids ignore it because of raw & nutty flavor.
Using nuts in shakes, smoothie & cakes are best option to increase daily intake for kids. So here I’m sharing 3 easy ways to consume dry fruits regularly.
Eat dry fruits in moderation, over eating can mess-up with your stomach.
Roasted Spicy Walnut– Many of us prefer roasted, flavoured & spiced nuts instead of raw. Walnuts are slightly bitter in taste & become rancid if not stored properly. So to include walnuts in daily diet, roast them with your favourite spices, store them in air tight container & keep at easily reachable place.
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil/any other oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
- Lemon juice
- Chili powder/Chili flakes
- Salt as required
- In pan add oil, all spices mix it very well on a low flame.
- Add walnuts, lemon juice & crushed thyme, stir it continuously for 1-2min till all nuts are coated with spices. Switch off the flame and keep this nuts covered for 3-4 hrs so that all spices absorbed nicely.
- After 3-4 hrs, on a low flame roast nuts continuously till it changes colour to brown & become crispy.
- For oven , preheat oven for 180 degree Celsius. Place walnuts in baking tray & bake for 10-15mins.
I tried both methods but roasted walnuts on gas taste better. We liked smoky flavour so toasted little longer on gas.
You can try this same recipe for almonds & cashews. Make flavoured nuts by adding your favourite spices & herbs. You can use black pepper, cinnamon & Barbecue sauce. For candied Walnuts use butter, sugar/honey, maple syrup.
Cashew Dip-This is so easy & delicious dip goes so well with chips, crackers & fried snacks. A Very good alternative for tomato sauce & yoghurt dip. Make it as compulsory dip for kids when they are having chips & crackers. 😉 You can experiment with colours & ingredients as per your choice.
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- Small piece Ginger
- Green chili
- For red colored dip -Red capsicum/red chili
- For green colored dip- Green chili,Coriander leaves/spinach leaves
- Wash cashews & soak it for 1-2hrs.
- Drain all the water, in grinder add all ingredients along with cashews.
- Grind till you get smooth paste.
Store In airtight container in fridge for 2-3days. As shown in pics, I tried green cashew dip with Papdi chat & red dip with grilled vegetables. It was very tempting & everyone liked it.
Almond Butter- My kids just love eating peanut butter & Almond butter. 😋😋 I never thought making these spread at home is that super easy & quick. Both almond & peanut butter have same recipe. So here goes 3 step recipe for Almond butter.
- 1 Cup Almonds
- Salt & sugar as required
- *1/2 teaspoon peanut oil/favourite oil if needed for smooth silky texture.
- Roast Almonds for 3-4mins till slightly dark/golden colour. For oven- Roast for 10-15mins in preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius. Roasting gives nice flavour & loosens oil which makes blending smooth .
- When almonds are still warm, transfer them to blender. Blend for few seconds, stop & check for texture. Repeat this process till till you get smooth spreadable paste.
- Add salt, little sugar & oil if needed. Blend again & transfer it into glass jar & store it in fridge for 1-2 weeks.
You can try mix of peanut & almond butter. For chocolate almond butter , add cocoa powder & sugar.
Give it a try, I’m sure you would not like to buy peanut & almond butter from outside.
If you haven’t tried these recipes, I hope you are inspired to try these recipes now. Give it a try & let me know your feedback.
Enjoy healthy Cooking!
Here in Healthy Corner I’m sharing few recipes related to health . But if you are looking for variety of recipes from starter to desserts & from breakfast to late night snacks, check out below links. They are expert in cooking & always share many new, delicious & interesting recipes.
©2017 Bhavana Colourfulcanvas, All Rights Reserved.